Conch Key is a small bayside island at mile markers 62 and 63, between Long Key and Duck Key. It features a mix of year-round residences and vacation rentals, as well as a waterfront hotel. Keys historian Jerry Wilkinson writes that Conch Key was used by Florida East Coast Railway construction crews as a camp site at the beginning of the 20th century. It wasn’t until the late 1940s and 1950s that development of the island began in earnest, after its purchase from the state by a businessman.
The oceanside Little Conch Key, mile marker 62.2, is also known as Walker’s Island. Historian Wilkinson writes that the island was purchased in 1946 by Paul Walker, who built several cottages that he rented to vacationers. Once only accessible by ferry, the island is now reachable by a causeway from the Overseas Highway.