- Mixing vessel with cover
- A muddler, I use a wooden spoon
- White rum, just plain white rum
- Sugar, I prefer unbleached sugar
- Mint, plenty of mint!
- Club soda
In a 20 oz. mixing vessel (I use a Mason jar):
- Pour 4 ounces of rum
- Add the juice of a whole lime
- Toss in half of the lime rind after you juice it
- Add 6 leaves mint and then 6 tablespoons of sugar
Muddle this mixture. The coarse sugar grinds against the mint leaves and lime rind, releasing oils into the rum. Once the mixture is muddled well, fill the shaker with club soda, cover and give it a shake or two.
Pour over ice in tall ice filled glasses, garnish with a sprig of mint leaves and a lime quarter. A few of the muddled leaves increase the smell and taste.
Courtesy Matthew Blalock of American Caribbean Real Estate-Lower Keys’ office.